School Learning Plan
William Walker Elementary School
William Walker is a diverse community serving 571 students. Students and families come from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds. William Walker is a Title 1 school with greater than 95% of students who qualify for free or reduced lunch. 62% of our students are Latino, 26% students are white, 5% of our students are Multi-Racial, 4% of our students are Asian students, 2% of our students are Black/African American, and 1% identify as Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. 54% of our students are english language learners and 16% are students with disabilities. There are 23 languages spoken here at William Walker. William Walker is a strong community of staff, students and families. We have heard this message from the staff and families about what a wonderful school William Walker is.
William Walker is built on a mission of “high levels of learning and success for ALL students.” In order to achieve this we are focusing on whole-child educational practices to ensure that behavioral, academic, and social-emotional needs of our students are met.
We are currently focusing on accountability measures as we adopt a “Whole-Child Learning” philosophy where we monitor academics, behavior, and SEL. Bi-weekly or monthly accountability meetings with the school leadership team are used to look at the data so we can make system changes to improve student learning.
Data is used by classroom teachers, grade-level teams, intervention teams, and the BH&W to drive instructional priorities and need-based services for students. It is an expectation that student needs will drive autonomous and collaborative adult learning for the purposes of greater understanding and professional skill development. We are currently in phase 1 of implementing these programs and having more frequent interim assessments (checks for understanding) will help us modify instruction to fit our students’ needs.
Date of Last Revision: November 22, 2022
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
WE Expect Excellence
- WE teach students knowledge and skills for our evolving world.
- WE seek, support, and recognize world-class employees.
- WE engage students with a variety of relevant and challenging learning experiences.
- WE create learning environments that promote student achievement.
WE Embrace Equity
- WE build honest, safe, and inclusive relationships with our diverse students and their families.
- WE provide needed support so that every student succeeds.
- WE work and learn in teams to understand student needs and improve learning outcomes.
- WE partner with our community to educate and serve students.